Vagamon (Kottayam) – Few Things to Know Before You Go
If you want to escape the city noises and the crowds, this just might be the right place for you to visit this year. Enjoy some quiet time to yourself amongst nature in this beautiful hill station located 1100 meters above sea level, in Kerala. The hill station is slowly gaining recognition for its beautiful scenery as well as for offering adventure sports to the tourists.
There is an International Paragliding festival every year in Vagamon to the delight of the locals and the tourists. The international paragliding festival is organized by the Kerala Tourism Department and the Adventure Sports and Sustainable Tourism Academy (AASTA). Adventure souls from everywhere in the world comes to the event to take part in the competition. Apart from that, there is cycling through the mountains, trekking, and rock climbing.
Places To Visit And Things To Do
- Vagamon Meadows – A place to reflect upon yourself and find inner peace. The lush green surroundings, coupled with the scenic beauty, will put your mind and body at peace. The place is 2 km away from the city center.
- Ulipooni Wildlife Sanctuary – Why not enjoy the wildlife, while you are here. This is the perfect picnic spot that vagamon has to offer. Take your family on a picnic for a day to this place. This place is not just perfect for a family picnic but also serves quite right for a romantic date as couples enjoy boating together.
- Kurisumala – This is a Christian pilgrimage site flocked every year by Christians. The place experiences an increase in traffic during the good Friday week.
- Pine Hill – Ever read a gothic novel and wanted to know how it is like walking through the woods in the English countryside? Well, this place feels like you are in a gothic novel.
- Kurisumala Ashram – This place evokes the spirit of India, as you find Christian priests teaching Christianity and also accepting the Hindu spirituality. This Ashram is located in the Sahya Mountain Range.
- Vagamon Falls – Grab your DSLR and head to the famous picnic spot in Vagamon. The waterfall is also known as Palaruvi. Capture the view as it cascades down the slopes.
- Barren Hills – Despite its name, it is not actual barren instead it is a lush green meadow stretching hundreds of miles. The place is famous for adventure sports like trekking and paragliding.
- Murugan Wala – Hundreds of visitors come to this place to visit the rock-cut temple that had been built for Lord Murugan. The place is not just spiritual lovers but also for nature lovers, and it perfect for a walk through nature.
How To Reach
If you are taking the air route, the nearest airport is The Cochin Internation Airport. The airport is approximately 75 km away from Vagamon. From the airport, you will have to book a cab or a bus to reach Vagamon.
If you are taking the train route, the nearest railway station is Kottayam which is 64 km away from Vagamon. There is another railway station, Madurai, but it is 149 km away. Reaching Vagamon by road is the easiest, like cabs, buses even state tourism buses are available directly from Cochin, Madurai, Kottayam, Munnar, and Trivandrum. You will have to cover 100kms to reach Vagamon by road from Cochin.
Best Time To Visit
It is best to visit Vagamon during either Summer or the winter season. During summer the paragliding festival takes place, and you can take elephant rides, while winter you can participate in hiking and plantation tours. Avoid the June- September months as the journey to Vagamon may prove to be a lot more difficult and risky during the monsoons.