Pondicherry is a popular destination in South India because it offers a wide range of attractions for tourists. The city is well-known for its beautiful beaches and other things that invite a lot of visitors from various parts of the world. It is a perfect choice for those who want to enjoy their holidays with family members and children. Another thing is that the city allows tourists to perform adventurous activities on the beaches to experience more pleasure on a trip.
It is a coastal town that has French colonies and buildings that attract several people from various parts of the world. The city is just 150 km away from Chennai which is the closest airport. Furthermore, it is becoming one of the popular weekend getaways in South India. It is possible to know the offers of hotels from several hotel websites that can help to select a package depending on the requirements. Also, one can compare the prices of budget Best hotels in Pondicherry online for getting ideas with ease. Another thing is that they allow travellers to schedule their trip before a week or month.
Things to do in Pondicherry
- Pondicherry Museum
It is one of the must-see places in Pondicherry allowing tourists to explore many things. The museum gives ways to learn more about French furniture, archaeological objects, ancient sculptures, Tanjore paintings, and glass paintings. Apart from that, it exhibits archaeological remains of Pallava and Chola dynasties enabling visitors to gain more knowledge.
- Mahe Beach
Mahe Beach is one of the popular beaches in Pondicherry because it is a good place for those who want to relax their mind from various problems. The beach is a perfect one for taking photographs with stunning views.
- Ousteri Lake
Ousteri Lake in Pondicherry is a man-made one which comprises of marshy lands and mudflats. It allows tourists to experience the glorious beauty of the rising sun. Besides that, the lake is a suitable one for bird watching purposes because the marshes are rich in biodiversity. The lake is a paradise for tourists who love nature and birds.
- Botanical Garden
Botanical Garden is one of the must-see places in Pondicherry because it houses fountains, pruned trees, toy train rides, and other things with French styles. Currently, the garden covers nearly 1,500 plant species allowing tourists to enjoy their trip accordingly.
- Chunnambar Boathouse
Chunnamabar boathouse is one of the best places to visit in Pondicherry allowing tourists to make a thrilling boat ride to experience more excitement. Furthermore, it provides ways to sail across the calm water in a peaceful environment.
- Scuba diving
Temple adventures in Pondicherry allow tourists to perform scuba diving activities with high safety. It is open throughout the year and offers certification courses in Scuba diving with professional teams. Moreover, the place makes feasible ways to view corals, kingfish, sea snakes, parrotfish, and so on.
Pondicherry is home to popular churches because they provide divine experience to travelers. In addition, they show methods to know French and other architectural styles in detail. Some of the famous churches include Our Lady of Angels Church, St. Andrew’s Church, Immaculate Conception Cathedral, and so on.
Travel tips to Pondicherry
- The best time to visit Pondicherry is during the winter because the summer the max temperature can go up to 42° Celsius. It is advisable not to make a trip to the city during the rainy season.
- Pondicherry has a good public transport system and frequent bus services are available for local traveling purposes. The fares are also a cheaper one allowing tourists to reach the important destinations easily.
- There are many restaurants that offer both French and other Indian dishes with unique tastes. It is not advisable to eat street foods because they may cause health issues that affect the body to a greater extent.
- Tourists shouldn’t travel alone in remote places late at night to avoid robbery and other places. They should always keep a travel map with them while traveling to other places in the city.
- Visitors should pack sunglasses, hats, and light clothes when they travel to the city during the summer. During the winter season, it is advisable to take sweaters and jackets that can help to get high protection from cold weather.
- Tourists can rent a bike and bicycles in Pondicherry at lower prices for visiting important places easily.
- Foreign nationals should carry their Yellow Vaccination Certificate which meets international health regulations. In addition, it is advisable for them to carry a copy of their passport and identity cards while visiting important places.
- Pondicherry is well-known for its bars enabling tourists to enjoy their nightlife because the alcohol rates are very cheap.
- It is advisable not to travel alone in remote places at late nights in the city to avoid robbery, thefts, and other problems.
- Although Tamil is the most spoken language in Pondicherry, many people understand English. French is also used in some places for communication purposes.
- Foreign travelers can exchange currency in banks and money exchange centers after knowing the commission rates.
- It is a wise one to drink only bottled water because drinking tap water will lead to health complications.
- Both domestic and international visitors should follow the rules and laws while visiting religious monuments.
Accommodation in Pondicherry
There are several international hotels in Pondicherry which offer excellent amenities for tourists to experience better accommodation. However, not all people can afford the prices and they need some alternatives for overcoming the problems. The budget Best hotels in Pondicherry are an ideal one for those who want to get modern facilities at affordable rates. They even show ways to plan a trip to Pondicherry in advance by addressing exact needs of visitors. On the other hand, it is necessary to know the availability of rooms while booking a hotel. Tourists should also follow the instructions properly during the booking process to avoid unwanted issues.