User Review( votes)
In medical terms, orthotics is a kind of support in the form of brace or splint used to align, prevent or correct the proper functioning of movable parts of the body. There are certain types of shoe inserts (orthotics) that are used with the intention of correcting irregular and abnormal walking patterns. This is achieved by slightly changing the angles at which the foot hits the ground while walking or running. Some other types of orthotics also include lumbosacral supporters, neck and knee braces and wrist supporters.
Some Types Of Orthotic Devices Are Described Below In Brief For A Better Idea.
- Spine orthotic device
- This is commonly referred to as an orthosis, a spine orthotics device, which is an external apparatus that is applied to the body in order to make the range of motion limited and correct the deformity by reducing the axial loading. This also improves the functions of a particular spinal segment of the body.
- These orthotics devices are used to restore or improve the functionality and structural rigidity of the muscles and skeletal system. They help in the treatment of even the problems resulting from trauma, work, and sports-related injury.
These Are Of Two Types
- Static orthotic devices: As you can tell by the name itself, these devices do not allow any motion and provide rigid support in cases of fractures or inflammation in soft tissues and tendons. These are also helpful in the treatment of nerve injury.
- Dynamic or functional orthotic devices: They are just the opposite of the static orthotics devices as they permit a range of motion and their effectiveness depends on the same range of motion. These are used to assist movements of weak muscles.
Hips orthotic device
These devices are used after the total hip replacement to restrict the motion of hip and flexion as the internal rotation can cause dislocation of the hip joint. They are also used for infants with developmental disorders of the hip causing hip instability. This type of orthotic device is also used for the treatment of children with leg calve Perthes disease.
Foot orthotic devices
This type of orthotic device is used in case of a misshapen or deformed foot. It is designed in such a way that it helps in relieving the pressure on the foot from certain areas by applying pressure to areas to encourage an appropriate gait. They are made up of a wide variety of materials such as firm plastic or materials which are semi-rigid like a laminate or crepe.
Foot orthotics is a kind of special shoe or heel insert that is made in a custom manner as prescribed by the doctor. But the question now arises that how to tell if you are in real need of an orthotic device?
These devices can be a part of a comprehensive treatment program to treat discomfort and pain of legs and feet. They are not just a heel pad or some kind of extra soft shoe inserts that are readily available in most of the stores. Instead, they are a highly customized shoe of heel inserts designed in a special way for your feet.
Orthotic devices are prescribed by doctors for the treatment of a number of medical conditions. Some of them are listed below.
- Back pain: poor positioning of feet can induce pain in the back. Inward arches of foot or lack of cushioning can also cause pain.
- Arthritis: this medical condition can also cause discomfort in the feet and poor positioning that can be rectified by the help of orthotic.
- Diabetes: a diabetic person can face a problem where he or she may lose sensation in their feet. This condition is known as diabetic neuropathy which can also be created by the orthotic.