Security guard jobs are in great demand in India. In every office, organizations, commercial places, public places, apartment complexes, hotels, hospitals and many other areas, there is the requirement of security guards for safety and security of everyone around.
In a nutshell, a security guard is hired to take care of properties and prevent any untoward situations. Training are provided in security guard jobs but it varies depending on the employer and the business.
Job Description of Security Guards
When you apply for security guard jobs, the main roles and responsibilities include the following:
- Monitor and protect property
- Monitor and provide security against criminal activity and damage.
- Prevent any kind of dangerous activities or illegal activities or robbery/theft to take place
- Keep a track of visitors entering and exiting from the premise
- Providing information to visitors as requested regarding the site and surrounding area
- Respond to emergency situations and alarms
- Senior level security guards also need to perform fire prevention, safety and maintenance tasks
- They also need to assist in parking/traffic enforcement
- Make periodic tours around the premise to check for irregularities
- Inspect protection devices and fire control equipment etc.
Where are security guard jobs available?
Security guards usually work on rotational shifts. Candidates applying for security guard jobs should try looking for job vacancies at the following:
- Educational Institutes
- Shopping Centers
- Sports venues
- Movie Theatres
- Transportation hubs
- Individual residences
- Individual Localities
- Apartments and Society complexes
- Public events etc.
Depending on the job profile, some security guards are stationed at desks, some are asked to stay at the entrance and exit gates, some are stationed at the parking lots, while some are given the duty of patrolling either on foot or in vehicles. There are armed security guards as well and they need to be fully trained in fire arms.
Know About: Top 3 Government Driver Jobs in India
For security guard jobs, a candidate does not need to be formally educated. Basic minimum educational requirement is class 12. But yes, to do well in the profession and get promoted to senior level or team lead position, the candidates should be highly observant, alert and detail oriented.
They should be able to handle crisis immediately, can identify threats quickly and should not get easily distracted. Active listening and communication skills are helpful.
In high-level professional organizations and high-risk facilities, security guards should know to use fire arms and they should be able handle emergency situations by providing necessary first aid.
They should be aware and alert at all times. It’s a very responsible position and the candidate in security guard jobs should be constantly aware of risks and concerns.
There are good job prospects in Security Guard Jobs. Also, there are a number of opportunities available. With a simple qualification of class 12, you can try for this job position. According to recent surveys, a security guard at an entry level with less than 5 years of experience can earn an average total package of Rs 250,000 / annum.
With mid-career experience of 5 to 10 years, he can earn a package of Rs 303,000 per annum. A senior level security guard with 10 to 20 years of experience working in big organizations can expect to earn on an average a total package of Rs 400,000 to Rs. 500,000 per annum.